Learn the Science:
Osteoporosis and whole body vibration
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass density, as well as rapid bone deterioration and/or brittleness. Osteoporosis increases the risk of bone fractures especially in the hips, ribs, spine and wrists.
Whole Body Vibration and Osteoporosis
Exercise is essential for someone with Osteoporosis. Weight and resistance training exercises minimize bone fragility. However, it can be difficult to exercise with osteoporosis, and simple movements can sometimes cause fracturing. Careful, calculated exercise can prevent injury and maximize benefits.
Whole Body Vibration therapy is a promising treatment for people with Osteoporosis. Finding ways to reverse, stop, or slow deterioration of the bones or even increase bone mass is critical to combating osteoporosis. Low-impact whole body vibration delivers mechanical loading to the skeleton, which can increase bone mass and improve balance.(Rubin et al., 2001) Animal studies have also shown mechanical loading improves bone growth and especially when used in conjunction with prescribed medications. Further clinical human trials still need to be done. (Stuermer et al., 2014)
Post-menopause osteoporosis is one of the most common causes of osteoporosis in women. The lack of hormones such as estrogen causes the onset of osteoporosis. Whole body vibration in conjunction with other medicinal treatments have been found to help treat women with post-menopause osteoporosis. It has been proven to be a safe and effective way for women with osteoporosis to exercise and prevent further bone deterioration (Iwamoto et al., 2012; Swe et al., 2016).
Similarly, whole body vibration has been used to help astronauts to maintain their bone mass while in space and recover after they have returned home. The near absence of gravity in space causes bone deterioration without proper intervention. One method NASA used was whole body vibration (Barry, 2001).
Lifetime Vibration Exercises
LifetimeVibe’s patented design is especially helpful for people with osteoporosis because it isolates the vibration in the base, not the handles–reducing harsh and violent movement. Unlike competitor machines, LifetimeVibe also accelerates gradually to the chosen speed, making the experience much more comfortable for those with bone fragility.
Stand on LifetimeVibe or sit on the attachable seat. Make sure to evaluate your condition and adjust workout accordingly. (See Page 41 in the LifetimeVibe program booklet)
Speeds and Programs
The first few days begin with Pre-set program 1 and low speeds to avoid injury. Then move on to Pre-set programs 2, 5, and 6. Pre-set program 5 is more aggressive.
Osteoporosis improves with whole body vibration
Medical Professions Explain Osteoporosis
- Rubin, C. T.; Sommerfeldt, D. W.; Judex, S.; Qin, Y. Inhibition of osteopenia by low magnitude, high-frequency mechanical stimuli. Drug Discovery Today 2001, 6, 848-858.
- Stuermer, E. K.; Komrakova, M.; Sehmisch, S.; Tezval, M.; Dullin, C.; Schaefer, N.; Hallecker, J.; Stuermer, K. M. Whole body vibration during fracture healing intensifies the effects of estradiol and raloxifene in estrogen-deficient rats. Bone (New York, N.Y.) 2014, 64, 187-194.
- Iwamoto, J.; Sato, Y.; Takeda, T.; Matsumoto, H. Whole body vibration exercise improves body balance and walking velocity in postmenopausal osteoporotic women treated with alendronate: Galileo and Alendronate Intervention Trail (GAIT). Journal of musculoskeletal & neuronal interactions 2012, 12, 136-143.
- Swe, M.; Benjamin, B.; Tun, A. A.; Sugathan, S. Role of the Whole Body Vibration Machine in the Prevention and Management of Osteoporosis in Old Age: A Systematic Review. The Malaysian journal of medical sciences 2016, 23, 8-16.
- Barry, P. L. Good Vibrations. A new treatment under study by NASA-funded doctors could reverse bone loss experienced by astronauts in space.